Saturday 22 July 2017

1 9 6 2 Sept - Oct - Nov - 'Wild strawberries'

I fell in love with the films of Ingmar Bergman when I was only 13 and went to see 'Wild strawberries' (Smultronstället) at tiny recently-inaugurated Cine Bijou, at Praça Roosevelt. I found out about the Swedish film not throught the pages of fortnightly 'Cinelandia' but throught the Sunday newspaper 'O Estado de S.Paulo' I started buying just to keep tabs on the latest film releases in town.

I was really impressed by the beauty of the film even though I don't think I understood the plot line very well. I remember distinctly well the beautiful sound of the Swedish language I was listening for the first time.
30 September 1962 - Cinema de arte Bijou would open its (tiny) doors to the public who relish cinema as an 'art' form on 8 October 1962; on the right Cine Bijou in 1982, still stood strong twenty years after it was opened; such a small place but charming and comfy. 
14 September 1962 OESP brought the great news about 'Morangos silvestres' - something totally different from everything I had seen so far.
15 September 1962 - Cine Bijou opens its door to those who love cinema as an Art form - at Praça Roosevelt, 172. 
14 September 1962 - I don't know exactly why I went to Cine Goiás to watch 'O juizo universal' (Il judizio universale) but I have never forgotten it. Maybe because at the last 15 minutes it became a colour-movie. I distinctly remember Jack Palance's face, maybe Alberto Sordi's and nothing else except the scene at Milano's Scala at the end when God himself talk to the select crowd. 
23rd September 1962 - 'Il judizio universale' (O juízo universal) at 'Correio da Manhã' cinema ad pages. 
25 November 1962
25 November 1962.
25 November 1962 -
25 November 1962 - I had been an Yvonne De Carlo fan since I saw her in 'The 10 Commandments' in early 1961. I'd die to see her in any other movie but I sadly missed Jules Dassin's 1949's 'Brute force' that recently inaugurated Cine Bijou played for a few weeks.
23 December 1962 - Warner Brothers' 'Land of the pharaohs' (Terra dos faraós) boasted the presence of beautiful Joan Collins...

No comments:

Post a Comment